The GM 6-speed rear-wheel drive automatic transmission, known as the 6L80E, comes in four versions depending on the vehicle and engine specification. All four versions are 6-speed rear-wheel drive automatics fitted to both 2WD and 4WD applications:
V6 Commodore 2012 onwards – BMW X3 2009 onwards – BMW X5 2007 onwards – BMW X6 2008 onwards.
V6 Commodore 2010 to 2011 – Colorado 2012 to 2015 2WD and 4WD.
V8 Commodore 2007 onwards.
V8 Commodore 2014 onwards – Supercharged Engines.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW…
Approximate fill after filter service for all models is 6 to 7 litres depending on pan and filter combination. Approximate fill after transmission removal and installation is 12 to 14 litres depending on pan and filter combination and torque convertor capacity. Always follow the manufactures fill drain procedures.
A crack in the weld of the reverse 1-2-3-4 / 3-5-R drum is very common. Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:
- Slip when reverse is selected or no reverse.
- Delayed engagement into reverse.
- MIL illuminated. DTCs P0776, P2715 or P2723 are found as an active or a history code in the TCM.
- Harsh shifts from second to third.
- Harsh shifts from fourth to fifth or slips in fifth.
- Slips on acceleration when passing.
All the items required for transmission service and rebuild with
upgraded parts are available from Driveline Auto Parts.